Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fireplace

This fireplace has been the center of hot debate between Nate and I. At first we had agreed that we'd reface it with slate and put a wood-burning stove insert in it to make it more efficient. The insert may turn out to be unnecessary. Nate had a chimney sweep come over to clean the chimney and while inspecting it, he praised the construction of our fireplace and said that it was just fine the way it is. The door on the fireplace is a really high end door too. The problem is: I don't like the gold on the door. The house was built in the 80's, so all of the fixtures and hardware are gold. I much prefer brushed nickel. So, I beg him every day to paint the gold part of the door black. This little change will totally transform the room. And make me a happy wifey. He is hesitant, maybe later - it's not necessary before move-in. I know we can paint it for a few dollars and make it look like a million bucks. We continue to debate this. We have decided to keep the brick and not reface it. At first I didn't like it because the brick is brown, but the grout is dark gray. I wouldn't have picked that color grout. Our solution is to paint the wall gray to make the brickwork pop.





No comments:

Post a Comment