Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 5: Bummer of a day

I must say, this was not one of my favorite days in life. I woke up knowing that Mom and Dad would be putting my cat of 14 years to sleep. Poor Kahlua had been suffering from kidney failure and had been dehydrated in the last month of his life. Mom had been giving him an IV of fluid every day to make him comfortable, but he was just too sick. They did everything they could. Mom said at 14 he was like an old man and he was ready to go. They say you just know when your pet is ready to go and Mom and Dad got the memo. Dad held him as he went. Better to die in the arms of a loved one than to die alone. I was so sad all day at work. I remembered all of the good times I had with him and the joy that he brought to my life. He used to suck my finger when he was little. I was his person. He would sleep with me. One of my favorite memories was picking catnip and rubbing it on the carpet in front of our TV. He would roll around in it and be so happy for hours. Our relationship changed after I left for college. Then Mom became his person. He would snuggle with her every morning and evening in her chair. He was such a sweet cat and had a very calm and friendly personality. I loved listening to him talk. I just wish I could have said a proper good bye to him. He just deteriorated so quickly. We're all going to miss him so much. He was most assuredly a family member and one of my favorite childhood memories.

Mom and Dad eventually made their way up to Cities. They got to the house a little before Nate and I did. Unfortunately, our laminate flooring for the basement living room was late, so they just focused on painting. They painted the hallway and put the first coat on the basement living room. After supper, Nate and Dad put new insulation in the crawl space. We all got tired early so they came over to our apartment for a nightcap. By the way, for those of you who don't know, Nate is an excellent bartender.

No comments:

Post a Comment